Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Time on the Trail


Me and my jog/walking buddy Olive post walk

Just when I was getting excited for fall weather we get two high 80's days in a row. Nevertheless, I was determined to get out and jog/walk this morning because we are going out of town this weekend which means great food and no walking. 

I loaded us up in the car and drove to the trail a few minutes from our house. As I went to grab my Iphone I realized I had forgotten my headphones. I didn't think much of it but was a little annoyed I wasn't going to be able to listen to pandora on my walk. To get to the trail we have to walk over this stone path and as I made my way over the rocks I was suddenly reminded of the sermon at church on Sunday. Our pastor is doing a year long series based on the book, Naked Spirituality by Brian McLaren. 

Sunday's sermon was around the word here and we were challenged to pray this prayer and go on a walk to connect with nature. 

Here I am.
Here You are. 
Here we are together.

The message was about recognizing that God is with us in this place wherever we are and whether we recognize it or not. As I bent down to pick up my rock for the walk I was thankful for the pause and reminder that I could just go for a walk, my plan, or I could acknowledge God's presence with me and open my eyes to what that meant for the day. 

I didn't have any huge revelations on the walk but I did have a less hurried and distracted sense as I walked. Instead of concentrating on efficiency I looked around me and instead of worrying about the day I found my thoughts drifting to family and things important to my heart. 

At the end of the walk Olive was happy to be back to the car. As I climbed in and saw my Iphone sitting in the passenger seat I was thankful for the times that my plan gets waylaid for a better one.

No comments:

Post a Comment