Monday, September 2, 2013

Labor Day Moments

As I sit here in my comfy chair I relish the crisp "fall is approaching air" and sip on ginger beer (for a mild case of heartburn :). Adam and I took today as a free day being the holiday and all and tried to connect with what we most enjoy. The day started with a family walk, including Olive, and then we were off on a Meg driven quest to find coffee and a new doughnut place in downtown GR. 

I had been talking about doing this for a few days and Adam admitted this morning that he had a dream I called him on his way home from work about bringing me home the perfect doughnut. Needless to say, this hunt had been well anticipated by this preggo mama, so when we parked and trekked to where it was located I was crestfallen to see it was not open on Labor Day. Neither was the coffee place I was so looking forward to. 

I had a moment of defeat and then determined to have a good day, we settled on a constant and walked to Biggby because of course it was open. We had packed a bag full of "options" because although I love to read it had been difficult lately to get into a book so I also had the computer, notepad for lists (this is not my week to go listless, see unconventional year) and my Bible Study. I was delighted to find that I do LOVE reading but at home it is often outweighed by tasks I should be doing. 

Sitting in Biggby I read for an hour and a half with reckless abandon while sipping my coffee and then proceeded to share with Adam everything I was learning and pondering. He and I both have a habit of reading and sharing, usually while the other person is equally engrossed in what they are reading but he did take a break from his news to listen, nod and seem interested. I love that we have this routine and it reminded me that we both enjoy reading, learning and sharing with one another. 


That's a part of who we are.

Another part that I had been contemplating and feeling a bit guilty about lately is our tendency to spend a considerable amount of time just the two of us. I know that in the past 7.5 years of marriage I have developed a barometer per say and while I enjoy being social, having a full schedule and cherish our friends and family, there reaches a point where I feel that I just need a day with Adam to reorient and refuel. 

I am sure that my close friends and family see/feel this as it may seem we are busy or that I say no to things if that means being too busy during the week. It isn't that I don't LOVE my people and need these deeply important relationships its just that Adam grounds me in a way that no one else wants to do- trust me. When I sheepishly admitted this to him today by stating that sometimes I just needed to be around him because he always puts up with me he laughed and said, "that's what we do." I am sure we will be challenged in this area when we become a family of three but I know we can figure it out. 

We then headed to a new downtown market in GR and got to explore our city. It was so exciting to see all these new vendors and the energy around shopping local. The turnout was very busy and I felt like a wide-eyed kid walking around and taking in all the sights and smells. I am very excited to try this wine and charcuterie bar post baby arrival as the cheese and wine selection they had was amazing. Adam's eye landed on a local ice cream maker and we were surprised to see our friend working behind the counter as her brother in law is the mind behind the whole endeavor.

Lastly, we attempted to eat downtown but as earlier in the day most places were closed so we headed to a local favorite where we knew we could sit outside, you have to take advantage of these days in Michigan. Have I mentioned that I love to eat? Not in a just fill my hungry stomach way but in a seriously consider the menu and savor every bite. Well I do.

Adam was seated before me because as usual I had to use the restroom but it meant that I walked out scanning the dining area to see where he was seated and happened to notice two friends of ours who live in CO sitting down to lunch. It was such a treat to catch up with J&J as they just had their first child and it seemed like forever since I had been able to talk with them. As we sat down to lunch after catching up I was especially thankful for opportunities that come when I am not running a million miles a minute and try to notice the little things.

Tomorrow will be back to work as usual, but today was a gift, filled with moments and taking time to pay attention to what makes us tick.

No comments:

Post a Comment